Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Shit-Canned SNL Cast Is Out Of Sight … Out Of Mind

As the writer’s strike continues, rumors are filtering down that many shows are starting to axe much of their staffs. At NBC, Saturday Night Live has fired a reported 90% of the members of the program. Meanwhile, over at rival CBS, David Letterman has apparently informed his staff that he will pay them out of his own pocket until the strike is over.

You can fill in your own joke here about how bad SNL has sucked over the past five years or more and how it will be hard to tell that they don’t have writers anymore, but it sure makes you wonder just how long this strike will persist. It also makes me hearken back to the days when Saturday Night Live was a staple, carried by talents just as Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Victoria Jackson, et al. I don’t recognize Dennis Miller as part of that ensemble anymore since he has turned into an unfunny, raving Republican lunatic.

The SNL news made me go looking for some of my favorite old-school skits, and I quickly stumbled upon one of my favorites. I’ve been lobbying Target to carry this item for years …

No comments: