Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Day 1,278, Quasi-Quarantine: They Were The Cable Ties, And They Were Bloody Rippers


After the Cable Ties become a bit of a late-summer 2021 obsession for me, I was chuffed when I heard in March that a new album -- "All Her Plans" -- was being released this summer.

This album shows off range above and beyond their post-punk and garage-rock sound (their label, local Merge Records, characterizes it as adding nuance to their "urgency and fury"). Though the album generally is somewhat tamer than previous efforts like "Far Enough" and "Live At The Scrap Museum," there is plenty of frantic to go around for those so inclined.

My favorite song off the album, "Mum's Caravan," shows the surprising beauty and versatility of Jenny McKechnie's voice, as does "Deep Breath Out." "Thoughts Back" is an intriguing depiction of techno angst; "Silos" is a searing, semi-spoken-word evisceration of the state of health care; and "Change" and "Time for You" are classic Cable Ties bangers.




I got even more excited when I heard that this Aussie trio would be touring with Superchunk and potentially appearing at Hopscotch.

Which is how I found myself at Ruby Deluxe at noon on a sweltering September Friday, waiting to see one of my favorite bands perform a 30-minute set for free.




There were technical difficulties that led to a 20-minute delay, and the poor singer/guitarist had to duct-tape her own leads squatting in the horrific heat wearing biker shorts.

The band recovered quickly, powering through "Mum's Caravan," "Thoughts Back," and a couple of others before finishing with a raging cover of The Clean's "Point That Thing Somewhere Else," one of my favorites from that iconic New Zealand band.

The torrid finale left McKechnie bloody and battered, but she assured onlookers she was OK. I went back to the offices in a daze, still reeling from the intensity of what I just witnessed.

I've been told I don't do enough things for myself. Making the trek downtown with broken ribs to brave the midday heat and see an obscure Australian band at a gay bar was something I felt I needed to do.

And I couldn't be happier that I did. Thanks, Cable Ties.




No comments: