Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Day 374, Quasi-Quarantine: "The Alchemist" Is An Enduring, Beautiful Tribute To Wonder


"Even if my neighbor doesn't understand my religion or understand my politics, he can understand my story. If he can understand my story, then he's never too far from me. It is always within my power to build a bridge. There is always a chance for reconciliation, a chance that one day he and I will sit around a table together and put an end to our history of clashes. And on this day, he will tell me his story and I will tell him mine."

Reading the 25th anniversary edition of "The Alchemist," it's apparent that Paulo Coelho's timeless work resonates across the years, as he finds a way to share accessible parables without encroaching into overt religious themes. 

"The Alchemist" is a powerful allegory of pursuing dreams while being grateful for what surrounds us, powered by its pointed, easy-reading style. 

" ... At a certain point of our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's greatest lie."

The boy's journey is capable of creating emotions that sneak up on you, as you encounter kings, thieves, seers, soldiers, symbolic animals, and, yes, first love through his eyes. 

This novel is essential reading for anyone interested in the question of fate vs. choice and the interconnectedness of the world around them.

"Because I don't live in either my past or my future. I'm interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you'll be a happy man ... Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now."

No comments: