Thursday, October 22, 2020

Day 221, Quasi-Quarantine: "Esperanza Rising" Reaches For Hope

"Do not ever be afraid to start over."

Pam Munoz Ryan's "Esperanza Rising" is a semi-biographical story of her grandmother's journey from Mexico to America, from luxury to poverty. The tale serves as a powerful exploration of family, hope, and rebirth. 

Esperanza's entire life and worldview is uprooted as she loses her quality of life, father, and grandmother in a short amount of time, then sees her mother fall deathly sick. She must redefine herself and her place in the world, testing her own capabilities and assumptions to find a way through.

A character named Carmen defines this new outlook that Esperanza can aspire to.

"I am poor, but I am rich. I have my children, I have a garden with roses, and I have my faith and the memories of those who have gone before me. What more is there?"

Though geared toward younger audiences (the clever titling, by fruits and vegetables to represent harvest times, will certainly appeal), the book does not shy away from powerful themes of immigration, environment, social justice, worker rights, and discrimination. 

"Esperanza Rising" is a beautifully rendered and thought-provoking story that is sure to spark lively discussion in elementary schools even 20 years after its publication.

"Esperanza reached for Miguel's hand and found it, and even though her mind was soaring to infinite possibilities, his touch held her heart to the earth."


No comments: