Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Five Questions with Justin Gainey


Justin Gainey was certainly not the biggest, nor the fastest, nor the strongest point guard to ever wear the Red and White, but as former coach Herb Sendek often said, no player ever maximized their abilities like Gainey did. He cemented his role in NC State history quickly, establishing a record that will likely never be broken by playing every minute of the Pack’s miraculous run from the No. 8 seed to the finals of the 1997 ACC Tournament—160 minutes in four games. What makes the mark even more amazing is that Gainey was a freshman at the time, and the diminutive youngster often found himself matched up with much larger opponents in the post due to the Pack’s lack of depth.

Gainey is now working as an administrative coordinator for NC State under new hoops coach Sidney Lowe. I recently did an interview with Justin for Pack Pride, and here are five questions and answers.

This year’s version of the Wolfpack does not have a deep bench, relying on a six-man rotation through most of the early part of the season. Does this team remind you of the 1997 team that you were a part of, with the “Iron Five” that played just about every minute of the ACC Tournament that season?
“It does a lot. It’s kind of like déjà vu for me, with guys getting injured and a slim bench. But the guys continue to work hard every day in practice and they’re bringing it, and that’s what really makes it all seem like ‘Groundhog Day.’”

What made you want to get into coaching?
“I had been overseas playing ball for a couple of years and then I played in the USBL, and when I came back and settled down, I actually started working over at the athletics office. When Coach Lowe was hired, a position came open.

“Initially, when I first came back from overseas, I decided I wanted to get back into coaching, and this was the perfect opportunity to get a taste of it and get my foot in the door. The position was open and I got the job, and it’s just been great. Coach Lowe is great to work for; he has a lot of basketball knowledge and he’s a Wolfpacker through and through. He welcomed me in, and it’s been good to be back a part of it and in what’s going on. It’s great to see the Wolfpack family back together; it’s been a dream come true.”

You are one of three former NC State point guards on this staff, and one of five—out of seven—on this staff who played hoops for the Wolfpack. In your opinion, how important is that to a coaching staff on this level?
“I think it’s great for all of us with experience playing for NC State … Having that connection of being part of it as a player and to be here now and you’re coaching. It’s easy for you to explain to prospects that it’s a great place to be. You can say, ‘I’ve seen it from the playing level, and I’ve seen it from the coaching level also.’

“And you’re always welcomed back because of the family atmosphere. I see a lot of former players back at games, and it’s unbelievable. We had a little player reunion earlier this year, and all these guys were there. I mean, I got to meet Hawkeye Whitney! All these former great players that you had heard about when you played here, and you got to see them and meet them. It was a treat for everybody to be in the same room.”

What was your reaction when you found out that your former coach, Herb Sendek, was leaving State?
“I was surprised, especially because it was April Fool’s Day. I was out in the mall with my family, and I got a call from someone saying that Coach Sendek was leaving, and I told them they have to be joking, that it was April Fool’s. But then I got home and saw it on TV. I was stunned, because I knew how much he loved NC State. But it was a good opportunity out there for him also, so he had to do what’s best for him and his family. I wish him and [assistant] Arch [Miller] and Coach [Mark] Phelps the best.”

Did you keep up with the ensuing coaching search much?
“It got pretty interesting, and the News & Observer did a good job of making it interesting, with their countdown saying ‘39 days’ or whatever. But I tried to track and see what’s going on with how they were figuring out the right person. It seems like the News & Observer had a new head candidate every other day, but I didn’t put too much time into it. I had faith in [athletics director Lee] Coach Fowler and the Wolfpack Club and those guys, that they would make the right decision. And they made a great decision, a great choice by hiring Coach Lowe.”

No comments: