Wednesday, August 07, 2024

Day 1,604, Quasi-Quarantine: Quaint New Bern Was Almost Impossibly Endearing

 
A recent trip to a film festival led me to discover New Bern, North Carolina, way later than I should have.

Cobblestone streets, early-20th-century architecture, backyard bluegrass wafting on a twilight breeze ...

And bears.

Many painted bears.


The second-oldest town in North Carolina (!), New Bern was founded by settlers from Bern, Switzerland. Apparently, Bern is "the old Germanic word" for bear, so -- naturally -- the animal become the symbol of New Bern.


Alas, my stay was short, but I couldn't resist one last picture of the Neuse River (the longest river in North Carolina and the widest river in America at its mouth!) before a very-early-morning departure.

I'll definitely be back to do some further exploring ...

No comments: