Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Books Review: Identity, Puberty, And The Mystical Vie For Prominence In "The Cruel Prince"


“‘I’ve seen many impossible things,’ the man said. ‘I have seen the acorn before the oak. I have seen the spark before the flame. But never have I seen such as this: A dead woman living. A child born from nothing.’”

An interesting mix of modern and medieval, "The Cruel Prince" explores what happens when the human world collides with the fairy lands that are obscured from mortal view. The start of a trilogy, this book explores the interplay between the magical and the real.

“The odd thing about ambition is this: You can acquire it like a fever, but it is not so easy to shed.”

Spirited away from her human life at an early age, Jude has to manage her status as an "other" in Faerie at the same time she deals with loss, identity, and maturation. 

Holly Black does a deft job of balancing real teen problems with palace politics and otherworldly magic, and "The Cruel Prince" is at is best when it reflects those dual realities.

“I step out of my second life the same way I stepped out of my first, holding too few things and with great uncertainty about what will happen next.”

No comments: