Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Day 521, Quasi-Quarantine: "Parks and Recreation" Finds Its Center With Ron Swanson

 


So I largely missed out on "Parks and Recreation" when it was on the air, mostly dismissing it as a ripoff of "The Office" and moving on to other shows.

I mean, I wasn't wrong.

However, so many jokes and scenes from the show have entered the cultural lexicon that I figured it was time to check it out. While I'm still finding it somewhat difficult to fully commit, the "Ron and Tammy" episode from season two justified a lot of my attention.

Featuring the incredible Megan Mullaly as Ron Swanson's ex-wife, this episode had me rolling from start to finish. To this point in the series -- roughly halfway through the second season -- Nick Offerman (as Swanson) has been grossly underused.

I'm hoping this is the point where that changes, and "Parks and Recreation" moves to much more Ron Swanson and much less Tom Haverford.

"Every time she laughs, an angel dies. Even telemarketers avoid her."

No comments: