Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Day 163, Quasi-Quarantine: Pursuing -- Or Being Pursued By -- The Path To Lovecraft Country


Spurred by the arrival of the long-anticipated HBO series "Lovecraft Country," I wanted to explore the writing of H.P. Lovecraft, an author of the macabre who had somehow managed to escape my reading over the years.

After getting "The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft" transferred from a local library to the branch closest to me (how fucking great are libraries -- seriously), I've been digging into this 700-page tome. It's ... a lot.

Just two episodes in, "Lovecraft Country" is only scratching the surface of Lovecraft's tales. Created by Misha Green and Jordan Peele and produced by Peele and J.J. Abrams, the show is angsty and mesmerizing, tackling a number of massive social issues.

Immersing myself in Lovecraftian writing and viewing to this extent likely won't be great for my sleep schedule. But standing at the intersection of TV and literature with a flickering candle and an intrepid spirit, I can't stop myself from delving deeper into Lovecraft country.

"As our world increasingly comes to resemble Lovecraft's anxious speculations, the importance of this long-neglected pulp purveyor of the weird and the unnameable becomes more evident, more unmistakable." ~Alan Moore

No comments: