Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bowl Onslaught, BCS B.S. Begin


As the litany of bowls pairing average teams starts in a matter of days, it's worth another call for a playoff system in major college football. There's no reason why TCU and Boise State should be playing each other as a pair of undefeated teams-- it reeks of the BCS covering their asses by not allowing either of those teams to play one of the heavyweight "name" schools. I found myself watching Montana and Appalachian State in that division's championship game and could not help but be reeled in to the emotion of the game, the setting in the snow and the pageantry involved. I've long been an advocate for an eight-game playoff, but as long as the money keeps flowing in and the elite programs are protected by the NCAA, the bowl system is going to remain in place. I've accepted that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

As a State grad, I don't have a dog in the fight, and I wrote an article for Pack Pride detailing some of the many of the reasons why. You can read it here if you're interested. In the meantime, geaux Tigers and go Longhorns (please don't let Nick Satan win a national title).

No comments: