Tuesday, November 11, 2008

From Playoff Shot To Throwing In The Towel In 6 Seconds


With six seconds left in the Saints-Falcons game, I had a six-point lead on my opponent. Even better, I still had Joseph Addai, Frank Gore and Steve Smith to play, while he only had Santonio Holmes left.

Then, since New Orleans is trying to get Drew Brees a statistical record this year even though they are a bad team, the Saints throw up a meaningless, last-play Hail Mary, down two touchdowns. Somehow, the ball is tipped around and ends up in the hands of reserve wide receiver Lance Moore. Did I mention that my opponent had BOTH Brees and Moore? So Brees gets 14 more points, Moore goes from zero to 16 point and thanks to a one-in-a-million play, all of a sudden I go from six points up to 24 points down.

Predictably, Steve Smith goes for one catch for nine yards AGAINST FUCKING OAKLAND, while Addai gets me ONE point and looks on as his backup, Derrick Rhodes, makes every important play down the stretch. Frank Gore did his best with 99 yards, but he didn't sniff the end zone and is playing behind a quarterback who even sucked at Maryland. Throw in the fact that this happened against the whiniest, bitchass-est of all the owners in the 14-team league, and that makes it hurt even worse.

The bottom line? Possibly the most devastating loss in my 10-plus years of fantasy football. Injuries, subpar seasons, personality issues, coaching changes—hell, I think I even saw a swarm of locusts attack Joseph Addai this year—all contributed to a miserable campaign.

So, with a measly 4-5-1 record, I'm officially throwing in the towel on fantasy football this year. Once again, I had the best team in the league following my draft, and once again, I'll have nada to show for it. This the unluckiest, most star-crossed season I've ever had in more than a decade of fantasy football, so maybe it's best to just sit and watch for a while.

For the first time since I can remember, I can actually take solace in the Dolphins instead of taking refuge in the Scooters.

Go 'Fins!

No comments: