Thursday, July 15, 2010

Deep Thoughts By No-Look McFadden: Episode 23


#1
Before the Marlins signed him to a minor-league deal, I had no Armando Benitez was still alive, much less pitching. Mets fans everywhere just got whiplash from memories of watching 500-foot blasts off opposing bats when he came in to “close.”

#2
Bobby Gonzalez, the former Manhattan and Seton Hall coach, was arrested for shoplifting. That’s so sad that I don’t even have a joke for that one.

#3
RIP to “Air” Coryell, who revolutionized the passing game in the NFL. His Chargers caused me a lot of a heartache as a wee Dolphins fan, but it is hard not to admire his coaching genius in retrospect.

#4
Drew Brees is the anti-Michael Vick, Phil Mickelson is the anti-Tiger Woods, Peyton Manning is the anti-Butt Favre and now Kevin Durant is the anti-LeBron James. I can only hope that “fans” start to recognize some of these douchebags for what they are and stop supporting them.

#5
I saw the trailer for “The Social Network” the other day. OK, I admit I’m intrigued.



As a marketer, I love the tagline: “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies.”

#6
RIP to Jim Bohlen, one of the founders of Greenpeace. No truth to the rumor that he died of a broken heart thanks to BP.

#7
Paul Goydos shot a freaking 59 in the opening round at the John Deere Classic. And only had a one-shot lead over Steve Stricker. That really shouldn’t happen.

#8
If you’re like me, you’re suffering from “LeBurnout” over all the LeBron James news lately, but I couldn’t let this one pass. Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone positively skewered James, making what Cavs owner Dan Gilbert said look tame. Among the pearls were, “Poor Stuart Scott, he’s been podded completely, if you chopped that dude’s head off, nothing but little plastic balls containing digitized ‘Boo-yah’ chips would fall out of his skull.” and “But here’s the question: was this a spoof of reality-show TV, was it reality-show TV, or was this a society that can no longer tell the difference?”

#9
Along similar lines, how about a nice cup of STFU to Jesse Jackson, who somehow tried to paint James as a slave in all of this. Really? I mean, except for the fact that he made $270 million being a slave? I try to keep an open mind about people like Jackson and Al Sharpton, but the reality is that he not only dishonored those who actually were enslaved, but he set back his cause quite a bit. I will never understand why educated black people don’t set this dude straight in times like this.
And watching Michael Wilbon, who is whiter than I am, try to piggyback on Jackson’s comments was painful at best and utterly ridiculous at worst.

#10
Dear Yankees fans, I feel your pain, but there is only one “Boss.” And he’s from New Jersey, not New York.

No comments: