Thursday, November 05, 2009

What Do You Know(shon)? The Scooters Make A Big Move For The Stretch Run


With just four regular-season games remaining in my fantasy league, the Scooters stand at 3-5 overall in a division that features three teams with that same record and one team at the top with a 4-4 mark. So, it’s safe to say the division (and the automatic berth into the playoffs for the division winner) is up for grabs, especially since my team boasts a 3-0 mark against my division foes.

However, after my second-straight loss this past weekend, the time was nigh to make a significant move. At halftime of the 4 p.m. games on Sunday, I was up by nearly 50 points; by the end of the 4 p.m. games, I was losing by about 40. Former EZU back Chris Johnson nearly singlehandedly beat me (in both of my leagues; basically, all you have to do is look to see who the high scorer for the week was in fantasy football, and you don’t even need to check the schedule -- you’d better believe they were playing against both of my teams), and Joseph Addai threw a touchdown as well. Yes, threw. In fact, he became the third running back to throw a touchdown against my fantasy football league this year (in a league that awards double the points for such plays) -- I mean, seriously? I’m pretty sure that has to be some kind of record.

The weekend was punctuated by this genius e-mail from the hated Trucker Dumper. The e-mail serves as a fairly good representation of why he’s such a disliked douche within our league:

“Hey Scott ,

Congratulations on becoming a father. I was wanting to know if Kevin Boss was available for Trade?”


Yes, but not with you, rectal wizard. So, with a big opportunity out there, I pulled the trigger on a trade that had been offered by a Panthers fan who has been trying to trade for Steve Smith for two months.

He gets:
Steve Smith, Panthers, WR
Kevin Boss, Giants, TE


I get:
Knowshon Moreno, Broncos, RB
Todd Heap, Ravens, TE


I hate to lose Smith, and I fully realize that it could come back to bite me. But the reality is that he has been an enormous disappointment this year (mostly not his fault) and the time to trade him was after the week he scored his first touchdown. I think Moreno could be a workhorse down the stretch (he’d better stop fumbling, though), and he could bolster my running back corps, along with my wise decision to grab Jamaal Charles a couple of weeks ago (thanks Larry Johnson, you fucking Twitter-sized jackleg). An RB/WR combo of Stephen Jackson, Knowshon Moreno, Jamaal Charles, Marques Colston and Hines Ward (with Roy E. Williams benching it) could be strong enough to steal a few down the stretch and sneak into the playoffs. I’m not thrilled with the trade, but I had to try something and this was the time.

No comments: