Thursday, November 19, 2009

Deep Thoughts, By No-Look McFadden: Episode 2


#1
It’s rather crass and slightly forced at moments (but wouldn’t it have to be?), but “The League” on FX is pretty damn funny. I’ve only seen one episode thus far, but it has definitely nailed the odd variety of characters you will find in dedicated fantasy football leagues. I’m a bit intrigued to learn what direction they take this show, and I’m looking forward to it.

#2
My cinematic viewing tendencies have trended down rather alarmingly over the last year or more, but I couldn’t be more excited about two new ones that are coming out soon, based on two of the better books I’ve read in recent memory: “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy (check out my review here) and “Shutter Island” by Dennis Lehane (pumping it up here). I don’t get pumped up for movies anymore because I’ve been disappointed so often, but I have to admit that these are actually two I may try to see in the theater.

#3
Floyd Mayweather is always going to be perceived as a bitch if he keeps ducking boxers who actually belong in the ring with him in their primes. If he wants a legacy in boxing that doesn’t involve him beating up more women than champions, he’ll fight Manny Pacquiao. But he won’t.

#4
Duke’s Kyle Singler gets goofier with each passing year. With his new bob cut, Singler looks like a cross between “Powder” and Dorothy Hamill.

#5
It gets dusty in the Scoot household every time the Traveler’s commercial with the dog hiding its bone comes on. I don’t know if that makes me overly sentimental or something worse, but there you have it. Great, great commercial.



#6
Is there anything more hypocritical than a guy missing the first quarter and a half of a football game while getting three-beer drunk, chastising his entire section for not cheering for maybe the worst team in the ACC … and then leaving before the end of the game as he gets booed by everyone in that section? Not that I tailgate with know anyone like that or anything.

#7
Really, Bill Belicheat? Fourth-and-two from your own 29-yard line with two minutes left in the game and a lead? I’m starting to think a homeless guy really did dress up as Bill Belicheat for that game … and I’m starting to think that homeless guy was Rich Kotite.

#8
That sound you heard was Howard Cosell rolling over his grave after learning that the Ravens and Browns were on Monday Night Football. I wonder how close ESPN came to pre-empting that game for “E:60: Peter King Spoons Brett Favre.”

#9
Lotsa chirping about Brady Quinn’s cheap shot on Terrell Suggs coming from Ray Lewis and the Ravens. Ray Lewis isn’t someone you want on your bad side, because for most people, saying, “Ray Lewis will kill you” is a euphemism for the fact that he will, like, really hit you hard during a football game. No. Ray Lewis will kill you; like, knife you and shit. Advice for “A Boy Named Brady”: don’t get into any limos in Atlanta. Seriously.

#10
In the Dolphins-Bucs game this past Saturday, Miami’s Lousaka Polite got tackled by Tampa’s Barrett Ruud a coupla times. (Wait for it). It was neat to see the Polite person run over the Ruud guy every now and again.

Drive home safely, folks.

No comments: