Monday, September 15, 2008

From Zero To 60 -- To Zero -- In 61 Seconds



It didn't last long enough to qualify for fight of the year -- hell, it didn't last long enought to quality for round of the year -- but the Kendall Holt and Ricardo Torres rematch was scintillating. In 61 seconds, there were three knockdowns, one cheap shot, one completely overlooked accidental head butt, one of the best boxing quotes of all-time, a brutal body shot and one guy knocked completely the f out.

As I watched the final sequence, I was struck by a) there had to be more to it than the great body punch by Holt, b) his finishing right hand was a thing of perfect beauty and c) I caught a vicious accidental head butt that the announcers completely missed.

Then, this pearl of wisdom from Holt afterward: "I don't back down -- I lay backs down."

One of the announcers called it "61 seconds of searing action," and I'm not prepared to disagree with that. Awesome.

No comments: