Wednesday, July 02, 2008

New "X-Files" Movie Brings Out My Inner Ex-Nerd


I found out today (apparently, I’ve been pretty much out of the loop between moving, switching jobs and other events) that a new “X-Files” movie comes out later this month. “X-Files: I Want To Believe” wrapped filming in Vancouver in mid-March and will be released on July 25 in the United States. The original stars of the show, David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and Gillian Anderson (Dana Scully) are back for more, a decade after the first movie, “X-Files: Fight the Future,” appeared. I am irrationally excited about this development.

Though the “X-Files” initially had more of a cult following, in the six years since the series ended, it has come to be more understood and appreciated. In fact, Entertainnment Weekly recently tabbed “X-Files” as the fourth-best show of the past quarter-century. On a personal level, I’m a rather cynical dude, so the idea of government cover-ups and blatant mistrust of the highest levels of bureaucracy sort of played right into my belief system. Of course, it didn’t hurt that I was briefly in love with Gillian Anderson, who I’m guessing represented some type of post-adolescent Princess Leia for me.

These days, it’s difficult to find smart, compelling TV to watch, which has led me to latch on to intelligent shows like “Lost,” “Heroes” and “Bones.” In fact, “Bones” is basically the “X-Files” with a lab component; the relationship between Booth and Brennan is eerily similar to the one between Mulder and Scully, although aspects of it have been taken to caricature level.

In this difficult time between the end of college basketball season and the beginning of NFL training camps, many of us needed something worthwhile to come along to fight the boredom. Well, hello, “X-Files” … you’ve been missed.

No comments: