Tuesday, March 20, 2007

This Happened


I was driving to work on Friday, March 16, listening to 620 the Bull and wincing, when I pulled up to a stoplight. Ahead of me, I noticed an enormous Jeep SUV. This was not noteworthy, since our roads are clogged with gas-guzzling, monoxide-spewing vehicles that are capable of excavating a quarry … or just going to Home Depot to pick out some wallpaper, then maybe hit Bed Bath and Beyond if you have time. What made the observation stand out was that I noticed that the license plate holder read “Civil War Reenactor.” A bemused grin appeared on my face. Directly to the right of the license plate was a “W ‘04” sticker. Head-shaking commenced. Above the sticker was a huge NASCAR No. 6 sticker with an illegible autograph on it (I don’t pretend to know or care who that is). A weary sadness came over me.

Three elements on one car that all contribute to things like Raleigh being considered Mayberry and the Hurricanes as “redneck hockey” on a national stage. It was a motorized cliché and I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. But it certainly made my commute a memorable one.

4 comments:

flightblog said...

This is the first post that comes close to explaining the bizarreness that is Raleigh.

Saturday morning I’m at an intersection near Crossroads strip-Mall. Next to me is this beautiful woman, maybe her mid-forties, dressed snappy, but casual for a weekend trip to Starbucks in her black Benz.

She turns right and the next car pulls up.

A pale blue Crown Vic. The driver, a lady, who looks 50, but is probably 35, has her hair in curlers, dressed in a flowered turtleneck under an old college sweatshirt with dirty poodle on her lap. Her arm is hanging out the window like a mean old truck driver holding a burned-to-the-filter cigarette.

I’m thinking to myself, where the f$%k am I?

Will said...

ya'll can turn around and drive where ever you came from ya know!!

Scooter said...

... Or we can stay, enjoy all the things we do like and just laugh at all the people like you. Yes. Let's do that one.

flightblog said...

ya'll can turn around and drive where ever you came from ya know!!

back to BoJangles?