Monday, January 15, 2007

Girls Like Girls Who Like Subarus


I was at a party once and someone mentioned that the Subaru Outback is the “car of choice” for lesbians. Subarus have been driven by members of my family for 20 years, everywhere from Alaska to New Jersey to Indiana to California to North Carolina. I drove one in college and, when it came time to purchase my first new car, I selected a 2003 Subaru Outbook Limited wagon. Imagine my surprise when it was revealed to me that I may, in fact, be a lesbian.

I mean, I’d seen the Martina Navratilova commercials, but I thought that just meant I might get really good at tennis if I drove my Outback enough. Digging around, I noticed that respected news sources such as the Washington Post, Lesbian Life and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation touched on the subject, dubbing Subaru’s efforts “gay marketing” (fill in your own Literace joke here). Even Wikipedia pounced on the phenomenon:

“Indeed, Subaru has gained a reputation as ‘the lesbian car brand’ in the United States, featuring such lesbian icons as Martina Navratilova in one ad and having a car driven by two women with a large dog in the back seat with the license place ‘XENALVR’ in another. In addition, the Subaru Outback and Subaru Legacy were voted numbers 1 and 2, respectively, by Car Talk listeners as ‘the ultimate gay chick cars of all time.’”

Giddyup; sounds good to me. My personal philosophy and approach to life since I was six years old has been the following:

“The only thing I dig more than chicks is chicks who dig chicks.”

If that fit on my license plate, I would make that happen … hell, put it on my tombstone.

And put me in a Subaru hearse while you’re at it.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

P.S. Is it juvenile to suggest that the name of the Subaru Forrester be changed to the Subaru Fur-rester? Just asking.