Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Great Novel Adventure of 2006


Is it possible to write a legible, 175-page novel in 30 days? Can it be done without developing a severe tic, a disturbing drinking problem or picking up a comforting crystal meth addiction? Apparently, I am getting ready to find out.

Today is National Authors Day, and November is National Novel Writing Month. As a result, the demented folks at Nanowrimo.org challenged writers around the world to complete a 50,000-word novel during the course of the month. Last year, almost 60,000 writers took part—less than one out of six of them actually finished.

So what do I win if I complete these frightening task? A “winner’s certificate.” Sweet. A book deal would have been a little more of a draw, but hey, a piece of paper from a Web site is cool, too.

Can I do it? Will I get there? Or will I wake up on hung over on November 15 and realize that I am roughly 9,000 words behind schedule already and give up? We’ll see. In the meantime, I just wanted to have a built-in excuse in case the blog posts aren’t as frequent. But don’t worry … Limerick Friday will be unaffected.

At the end of this month, I will either be a novelist or I will be rocking Rainman-style in the corner, muttering and assuming the fetal position. Hell … maybe both.

Wish me luck and thanks for the support …

3 comments:

Evan said...

instead of one person writing a novel, would be interesting to see what 20 or 50 people could do, if everyone wrote one chapter at a time.

there's a project for ya.

Scooter said...

Marco will be jointly working on the Spanish-language version. Is that close enough?

Bass Hampton said...

If Etoria can find a buyer for a 1987 Pontiac 6000 she has agreed to write a chapter.