Monday, June 22, 2009

Big-Theater Cinema's Aggression Will Not Stand, Man


I've always pulled for the little guy and rooted for the underdog. So as tiny art theaters increasingly are made obsolete by the antiseptic, 30-screen, plastic-popcorn-for-$14 multiplexes, it makes me try to find ways to support the Rialtos and the Colonys of the world.

And these smaller venues are doing their part to find their niche as well. That's what led me to the Colony -- where I saw an incredible indy film called "Once" a few years ago -- the other night, when they chose to show one of my favorite flicks, "The Big Lebowski." As if that weren't good enough to drag my arse out on a week night, the flick was $5. And on top of that, how can you not love a theater where you can buy beer, win door prizes and see people dressed up as Walter Sobchak?

To utterly and completely seal the deal, the awesome folks at the Colony decided to put "Logjammin'" and "Gutterballs" on the marquee as well (above). To quote the Dude, "That's fuckin' ingenious, if I understand it correctly."

So get out there and support your local indy shack. Check out their "Cool Classics" series this summer. Stick up for the little guy by trying something new and sticking your toe in the water.

Just be careful you don't lose it.

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me … Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon—with nail polish. These fucking amateurs …"

No comments: