Monday, August 01, 2011

By Taking Chances And Tackling The Controversial, “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” Stands Out


The times when I’m surprised in a positive way by a movie are few and far between. So maybe that’s why “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” resonated with me for a while.

This flick, adapted from a novel of the same name by Ned Vizzini, touched on the difference that confidence can make in life, combining elements of a comedy, romance and a coming-of-age movie. Written and directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” is powered by unexpected and risky casting that somehow worked. The lead role was handled by goofy, win-you-over Keil Gilchrist as Craig, a troubled, semi-suicidal youth struggling with adolescence and a world that’s just a little too big for him at the moment. His parents are played by Jim Gaffigan and Lauren Graham, who are known more as comic types, while Emma Roberts appears as Noelle, the much-more-troubled girl who helps him see his problems really aren’t that bad.

Jeremy Davies, an actor I really like, had only a niche role in this one, and I certainly wouldn’t have minded if it had been expanded. But it is NC State’s own Zach Galifianakis who brings the biggest—and most unexpected—punch. In a role where he has to stretch far beyond what he’s been asked to do to date, the hysterical comedian plays Bobby, a kind of mentor and challenger to Craig. Eventually, Bobby learns as much from Craig as vice versa, with the message being that it seems like time moves slower when you are younger.

“See, that's the part I don't get, Craig. I mean, you're cool, you're smart, you're talented. You have a family that loves you. You know, what I would do just to be you, for just a day? I would … I would do so much. I would … I don't know. I would just … I'd just live. Like it meant something.”

There are plenty of awkward scenes, but that is partially by design, as there was a delicate balancing act between humor and the serious issues that go along with psychiatry and suicide. As Craig sees the beauty in Noelle that she doesn’t see in herself -- even her scars have glitter -- he himself finds a gift for art hidden inside him, and he is sort of forced to man the F up and put his problems in context.

Throw in a really good soundtrack and you have one of the biggest sleeper movies I’ve seen in a while. Because “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” is a film about taking the damaged and making it beautiful.

And I believe our world could use a bit more of that.

“Okay, I know you're thinking, ‘What is this? Kid spends a few days in the hospital and all his problems are cured?’ But I'm not. I know I'm not. I can tell this is just the beginning. I still need to face my homework, my school, my friends. My dad. But the difference between today and last Saturday is that for the first time in a while, I can look forward to the things I want to do in my life. Bike, eat, drink, talk. Ride the subway, read, read maps. Make maps, make art. Finish the Gates application. Tell my dad not to stress about it. Hug my mom. Kiss my little sister. Kiss my dad. Make out with Noelle. Make out with her more. Take her on a picnic. See a movie with her. See a movie with Aaron. Heck, see a movie with Nia. Have a party. Tell people my story. Volunteer at 3 North. Help people like Bobby. Like Muqtada. Like me. Draw more. Draw a person. Draw a naked person. Draw Noelle naked. Run, travel, swim, skip. Yeah, I know it's lame, but, whatever. Skip anyway. Breathe … Live.”


No comments: