Monday, October 25, 2010

“Old Dogs” Made Me Question A Lot Of Things


“So, why the f#&k am I watching this?”

That’s the thought that kept running through my head while sitting through “Old Dogs” a little while ago. Free time is scarce these days, making the concept of watching not only movies, but bad movies, arguably not the best usage of scarce resources.

Yet there I sat, watching John Travolta and Robin Williams stumble through a weak plot line devised by director Walt Becker, who also headed up “Wild Hogs” (which I thankfully didn’t see). Going by his naming and plot conventions to date, Becker’s next flick will have to be called “Serene Frogs,” yes?

Anyway, back to the film. Yes, there were a couple of funny moments and a bit of physical humor involved in the lead characters taking the wrong pills. I’ve always been a bit of Robin Williams fan, but I always wonder how a guy like Travolta, who fell into an ever-so-rare career resurgence, seems hell-bent on throwing that rediscovered career out the window with a string of why-did-he-choose-that? projects. I also never got Seth Green; he’s brutally unfunny and no longer has the awkward-teen vibe going for him.

So if “Three Men and a Baby” featured past-their-prime, middle-aged, questionable actors, it would be called “Old Dogs.” Wait, that is actually happening?!

Christ. I guess I’ll get roped into watching that one too.

Help.

No comments: