Monday, June 14, 2010

To Ube From Cup A Joe, Volume IX

At Our First Parting …

At our first parting
How will I miss you?
Let me count the ways
Then count the days

I’ll miss the day’s starting
The smiles and cuddles, too
Your innocent plays
Amidst the sun’s early rays

Won’t miss the morning parting
The drive away from you
Hectic work-world days
So cruel in their delays

Then from work I’m darting
Unknown grins and thoughts of you
And your disarming ways
And the ways your legs splay

Just as my heart is smarting
You see me, I see you
Your smile appears and stays
I hold for what seems like days

The evening’s just starting
A yawn accompanies your coo
Your crib calls, and that’s OK
Whatever love costs, I’ll pay

So dream little dreams, darling
Of blocks and mirrors and giraffes, too
Of cold Decembers and mild Mays
Of fluffy clouds and puppy strays

And on our first parting
Thoughts only for Mom and you
Though I’m miles away
My heart always with you stays

As I count seconds, minutes and days

No comments: