Thursday, November 18, 2010

Deep Thoughts By No-Look McFadden: Episode 34


#1
I was watching the “Seinfeld” episode “The Heart Attack” the other day, and even though it was probably my 122nd viewing, I finally realized that George calls Jerry a “jerkoff” in one scene. Jerry starts to crack up. Hysterical.

#2
DirecTV has a really cool series of commercials documenting some of the NFL’s best rivalries in the context of real-life scenarios and interactions between Average Joes. One depicts Eagles fans drinking sweet tea and watching the games on their laptops in a diner. Because that’s how most Philadelphia fans roll. Way to know your fanbase, DirecTV.

#3
On one of my first visits to New Orleans, I tried to visit Louis Armstrong Park. It was locked up for some fabled “repairs.” Sad what it has degenerated into.

#4
Incredibly powerful and moving “30 for 30” on Marcus Dupree. I had read the landmark book “The Courting of Marcus Dupree” as a kid, so I had a bit more invested than most. I found the shots of him watching old footage of himself from a quarter century or more before, and his reactions and almost disbelief, like a surprised kid on Christmas morning, really emotional. Well done, ESPN (I don’t say that much, so it’s heart-felt).

#5
This story about UK secret nuclear testing and subsequent corpse mutilation is almost unfathomable. And it’ll be an even bigger and even more unbelievable crime if it is allowed to go under the radar and not warrant more reporting and investigation.
Just, wow.

#6
So there’s an Enterprise Rent-A-Car commercial that runs incessantly, where the older dude calls the younger dude “Tiger.” I would find that creepy as hell even if the old guy was his father, which he isn’t.

#7
“The T.Ocho Show.” You deserve to get punched if you even consider watching this. That is all.

#8
Can anyone tell me why they put a slippery tarp on the sidelines during football games? Seriously? How many players have to slip and fall and risk a blown-out knee before this is looked at? Are you telling me there’s not a better idea than this?

#9
Dear college coaches, you can’t play for the field goal at the end of games in college. You just can’t. You can’t trust college kickers. Go for the touchdown. Win the game. End of advice.

#10
When I first started writing for the Technician, the NC State student newspaper, trying to juggle schoolwork, a job waiting tables and this volunteer work, I got put on the Wolfpack men’s soccer beat. My first assignment was to cover a tournament in Durham, where I interviewed coach George Tarantini. As a nervous reporter, I was completely disarmed by his engaging personality, his appreciation of the student paper and his easygoing demeanor. Later, when I wrote for the Wolfpacker, I was always blown away when he hand-delivered brochures for his soccer camp to our offices to be packaged with the magazine. Even recently, I bumped into him at Cup A Joe, where he was quick with a smile as usual, waiting in line for coffee.
Almost 20 years after I first met him, and after a quarter-century as the Pack’s coach, Tarantini is finally retiring. In many ways, he’s State’s last link to Jim Valvano, his close friend and confidante. Many soured on Tarantini after years of perceived underachieving, so I can only hope he knows how much the NC State community is going to miss his personality and all his contributions. Best of luck in this next stage of your life, Coach.
Go Pack.

No comments: