Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Very Special “Grey’s Anatomy”: McAlero Goes Off To Nursing School


Occasionally, a project originates from Guru.com, drifts through cyberspace and eventually reaches my desk. Some are serious, some are whimsical, some are challenging, some are paint-by-numbers, some are lucrative, some squeeze a nickel ‘til the buffalo shits. And then, one appears that makes it all worthwhile …

“Profile ID: xxxxxx matches...
Title: My daughter
Project ID: xxxxxx

Category: Writing / Editing / Translation
Description:

I am looking for someone who can write a poem or a song about my daughter. She is graduating this year from high school. She played basketball and softball in high school. her nick name is pumpkin. she just bought a oldsmobile alero. I think I would like to include some of her friends names. She is planning on going to college for nursing. I always call her my hero. She has a pet cat and dog.”

I heard your call, Melancholy Mother, as your fragile bird prepares to leave the nest. And I’ve decided to bestow to ye one limerick and one haiku … on the house:


I remember the first time you played basketball when you were just wee
To think that you’re almost a nurse now makes my heart fill with glee
Did I ever tell you that you’re my hero
As your hair blows in the wind outside your new Alero?
You’re my pumpkin – and you’re out of your gourd if you don’t believe you’ll always be

Hero to me, pets
Future nurse, sweet Alero
Gentle pumpkin, mine


Good luck, Anonymous, Gender-Confused Alero Girl Whose Mom Doesn’t Think She Has Any Friends – to you I say godspeed.

1 comment:

Bass Hampton said...

i've been searching for inspiration...i've found it.

please pass these on to the delicate flower:

As a mother i watched you grow -my hero
Now it's off to nursing school in a shiny new Alero
Tragically, i do not know your friend's names
But i never missed your basketball or softball games
My Pumpkin - you take the cat, the dog and my heart as you go

Pumpkin my hero
Reliable Alero
Dog and cat love thee