Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Deep Thoughts By No-Look McFadden: Episode 7


#1
I honestly never thought Queefer Sutherland would be back for yet another season of “24.” Didn’t he say that this was going to be the “last” season like five years ago? I guess passing out in hotel lobbies was getting too boring. Will Kimmy Bauer come back to rescue this season, too (and I will say that bringing back Agent Renee Walker was a strong move as well)? Oh well, I keep saying I can’t take it anymore, but yet I keep watching. I can’t quit you, Jack Bauer!

#2
Has anyone ever seen Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell and former Pack guard Scooter Sherrill in the same place at the same time?

#3
About the time that Sebastian Janikowski started date-rape-drugging himself at shady bars, he became a national joke, and deservedly so. But has anyone noticed that he has quietly become one of the best kickers I can ever remember in the NFL? I guess if you're kicking for a hellaciously shitty team and you don’t roofie yourself anymore, the pub isn’t exactly going to be knocking down your door. But the dude crushed a 61-yarder the other day and it got zero play anywhere. I see you working, Sea Bass.

#4
On a completely unrelated note, what is the consensus on cutting meat: Do you cut the entire piece into bite-sized pieces all at once, or do you cut pieces off one at a time as you’re eating them? I guess, to me, cutting them all at once feels childish. Discuss amongst yourselves.

#5
OK, time for another mind-numbing football pet peeve: A quarterback underthrows a receiver on a downfield route, either because he was hit or because it was just a terrible throw, the wideout tries to jump through the cornerback to get back to where the ball lands and a defensive pass interference flag is thrown. Now, I understand that every rule these days is in place to facilitate offense, but dear lord … sometimes I wonder how the hell a guy is legitimately supposed to play cornerback these days.

#6
Fox’s BCS studio show has to be among the worst pieces of sports programming I have ever seen. Chris Rose hosting with Eddie George and Jimmy Johnson on a Technicolor-orange set surrounded by life-sized Reese’s wrappers on everything within 60 feet? Really? That’s the best you could do? A Ryan Seacrest wannabe with no sports background (Rose), a guy who can’t form complete sentences or coherent thoughts (George) and a burnout who cheated his way through college football and only covers the NFL all season long (Johnson)—how could that possibly miss?

#7
That new show “The Deep End” looks pretty bad. It’s surprising to see that Chris Paul will get a chance to cross over to acting so quickly.

#8
At the risk of dating myself (*that’s what she said*), I’ve been going to the Man Mur Barber Shop across from State’s campus for, I don’t know, 15 years? Aside from the occasional racist joke and still getting questions about what classes I’m taking, it’s quick, professional, cheap and top-notch. I guess that’s why I was only mildly surprised that Playboy apparently named it one of the top 10 barber shops in the nation. The barbers have been bitching about the Hillsborough Street construction for months, so hopefully the added pub will help them make up for the business they think they’ve lost.

#9
Serious question: Has ESPN college football “analyst” Mark May ever been right about anything, ever?

#10
I appreciate what Pat Summerall has done for the game of football, and I applaud his effort to get sober after so many years. But isn’t he one of those guys who should just fade away? How in the hell does he land a gig calling a bowl game when he can barely identify which teams are playing, much less who the players are? Am I a bad person if I suggest that he was a much better announcer when he had a few Cutty and waters in him?

No comments: