Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The End Of An Error And The Dawn Of Hope


Symbolically, I'm hoping this clean snow that blankets us helps to cover up and wash away all the disgraceful mistakes and deceit of the last eight years.

I had toyed with the idea of attending Barack Obama's inauguration later today, but it seems about 2 million people beat me to the punch, and logistically, it just didn't work out. Since I can't be there, I'll think out loud of my hopes for what today could mean.

I hope our new leader can enhance and build on the good will and sense of optimism he's created.
I hope America begins to earn back respect -- it takes years to earn and one decision to throw it all away -- around the world.
I hope the economy begins to turn around and friends and loved ones who worry about their jobs will gradually have their concerns eased.
I hope there is a real commitment to addressing environmental concerns so we don't leave a smoking shell for our grandchildren.
I hope partisan politics takes a backseat to problems that can only be solved by multiparty collaboration.
I hope we take accountability for our embarrassing behavior in the world's eyes.
I hope we have the creativity and wherewithal to end this war peacefully and bring our dedicated troops back home.
I hope we center our focus on an educational system that is falling behind in some areas and broken in others.
I hope we remember New Orleans and stop treating her like someone we gave up on long ago.
I hope we address immigration in a way that allows all parties to retain their human dignity and sense of decency.
I hope the move toward volunteerism and charitable efforts takes hold.
I hope the promise of an amazing nation is realized, and the wasted and damaging actions of recent years is erased from the collective memory.
I hope Obama turns out to be who I think he is.

But most all, I hope. And it feels good just to be able to do that again.

Yes, we can.

No comments: